Close-up Shot of FAQ wooden blocks.

Do you want to study in Germany? Or go to Germany for a cooperation with German universities? Great idea! The following information will help you with the planning. Before contacting us you might want to look through the questions and answers in this section. Please have a look below at our FAQ.

Further information for parents can also be found on our website under Information For Parents.

Why should I go to Germany to continue my university education?

Many German institutions of higher education can look back on centuries-old tradition. Until today German universities play a leading role internationally in many of the science and humanities disciplines. There are more than 400 institutions of higher education spread all over Germany, with no less than 109 universities, 216 universities of applied sciences (Hochschulen für Angewandte Wissenschaften) and 55 colleges of art, film and music. The spectrum of study options is extremely broad: more than 9551 different degree courses and more than 863 doctoral study opportunities are offered.


What is the difference between a traditional University and a University of Applied Sciences?

Both offer degree programmes leading to an BA/BSc or MA/MSc. or the German equivalent. The “Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften” (University of Applied Sciences), however, is generally more orientated towards the practical use of knowledge. Most of their degree programmes are in the field of natural sciences, engineering and business administration.

Degrees in the field of humanities, social sciences or fine arts are not normally offered at the Universities of Applied Sciences. Quite often, the institutions maintain close contact to the industry and offer extensive opportunities for internships.

On the other hand, Universities of Applied Sciences do not award the title of PhD. So, if you are quite sure you do not want to pursue an academic career (university teaching etc.) but instead you want to gain as much practical experience as possible, a University of Applied Sciences might be the right place for you to undertake your studies.

What are the admission requirements for degree programmes?

For most Malaysians and international students in Malaysia, the pathway to Germany can be fairly simple! The following University Entrance Qualifications are accepted by German Institutions:

  • SPM + STPM (min. 5 subjects)

From SPM: 3 subjects – Bahasa Malaysia, English and Mathematics or a science subject (whichever with the highest grade)

From STPM: 2 or 3 subjects from the related subjects for the bachelor’s degree (depending on the university); *subject-specific requirements may apply


  • A-Levels, 3 subjects:

1) Mathematics or a science subject (compulsory)

2) one subject related to the Bachelor’s degree

3) the third subject should also be related to the Bachelor’s degree

As there is occasionally a clash of subjects, we highly recommend that you contact the DAAD for further information.


  • IB Diploma

1) A minimum of thee subjects at HL

One the HL subjects must be either Mathematics, or a natural science subject such as Biology, Chemistry, or Physics.

2) Two Languages: Language A and Language B, with one of the Languages being an HL (please note that Ab Initio is unfortunately not recognised and will not meet the university entrance qualifications)

3) A social science subject from the subject group 3 (History, Geography, Economics, Psychology, Philosophy, Social Anthropology, Business and Management, Global Politics)

4) Students must be able to provide proof of a natural science subject (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) from group 4

5) From the 2021 examination onwards: An IB diploma with the subjects „Analysis and Approaches“ and „Applications and Interpretation“ at the Higher Level (HL) offers direct university admission for all subjects.

If the two maths subjects are taken at the Standard Level (SL), the IB diploma offers direct entrance subjects in the humanities, arts, economics, social studies, medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, pharmaceutics, psychology, law and sports.

In this case, the natural sciences subject from group 4 (Biology, Chemistry, Physics) must be completed at the Higher Level (HL).

6) The sixth compulsory subject may be one of the following subjects recognised by the IB: Visual Arts; Music; Theatre (Arts); Film; Literature and Performance; another modern foreign language; Latin; Classical Greek; General Chemistry; Applied Chemistry; Environmental Systems and Societies; Computer Science; Design Technology; World Religions; and Sports, Exercise and Health Science.

In order to be recognised in Germany, only the subjects that are explicitly named in the above-mentioned IB agreement can be included in the evaluation. All other subjects will be excluded from the evaluation.



This is also accepted by Germany, but we encourage you to contact us to find out more about the requirements.


  • Language Requirements

Please see the next question about the language requirements to enter a German university.


Please note that all German universities are autonomous and they may have the final decision on the acceptance of the certificates.

What are the Language Requirements to enter a German University?

And now to the question which is on everybody’s mind:

Do I need to know German to enter a German University?

Well, yes and also no. This completely depends on the medium of instruction during your studies. Many degree and master programmes now offer courses being completely taught in English.

While this is certainly very attractive to international students, it must also be stated that the majority of courses are still being conducted in good old German!

  1. If you wish to study in Germany with German as the medium of instruction, then you will need a C1 Level of German, whereby you will then sit for either the TestDAF examination or the DSH examination.
  2. If you wish to study in Germany with English as the medium of instruction, then you will need an IELTS or TOEFL certificate. We recommend that the IELTS score be 6.0 and above as most universities set this as their requirement.

Please note that the language certificates have a validity of two years and will need to be re-taken after they are expired. 

I want to attend a language course in Germany. How do I gain admission?

You can find German language courses offered at German universities on the DAAD Language and Short Courses database.

If you don’t have any German skills yet, we strongly recommend attending a language course in your home country first, for example, at the Goethe-Institut. Visit the website of the Goethe-Institut Malaysia for more details.

Can I enrol in an English-language degree programme in Germany?

Yes, there are many courses and degree programmes taught in English, especially master’s courses.

You can get an overview in the extensive DAAD database of International Programmes. Having said that, we strongly recommend that you try to learn a little German, because knowing the language will make you feel more at home in Germany and help you make German friends faster.

How can I find out whether my school-leaving certificate will be recognised in Germany?

The DAAD admission database will tell you whether your university entrance qualification is recognised in Germany. You can obtain more specific information about other countries and certificates at Anabin (please note that the Anabin website is only in the German language, but you may use Google Translate to help with that).

This database contains information on how foreign secondary school-leaving certificates are evaluated. It provides all relevant information, e.g. whether your certificate will be recognised and whether you will need to meet further requirements.

The final decision is always made by the university, to which you apply. Therefore, we recommend asking the International Office at the university of your choice and the DAAD whether you meet all the requirements!

I'm looking for the best university in my area of study. Where can I find it?

As all German universities offer very good education, it’s hard to say which university is the best. The best university for you is the one which best meets your expectations.

When choosing a university, you should take several aspects into account, like the range of subjects, the size of the university and city, as well as the cost of living in that city. You can find all of the degree programmes at German universities in our database.

Where do I send my application?

Applications are made either directly to the university in Germany or via Uni-ASSIST ( The method of application will be stated by the university, as not all universities use Uni-ASSIST.

Please pay attention to the various application deadlines!

  1. The Winter Semester

This is considered to be the main intake for most German universities as the majority of courses will be on offer.

The application window will usually start around the beginning of May and end around the middle of July. The semester will normally commence in late September or early October.

2. The Summer Semester

The application window will usually start around the beginning of December and end around the middle of January. The semester will normally commence in late March or early April.



What are the living expenses in Germany like?

The great thing about public universities in Germany is that they only charge only very moderate tuition fees or even no fees at all.

The only state that currently charges tuition fees to international students is the Baden-Wuttermberg. These amount to 3000 Euro (approx. RM 14,000- RM 15,000) per year.

Living expenses in Germany averages between about 650 – 850 Euro per month (RM 3,000 – RM 4,500). This includes accommodation,
food, transportation, health insurance, clothing, entertainment, etc. The main deciding factor is the cost of accommodation and the location, as the difference between a private flat in a metropolitan and a shared apartment in a small town can anywhere between 150 to 500 Euros.

While there may be no tuition fees, all students will still have to pay a semester contribution:

Example of a semester contribution: Summer semester 2012 in University of Cologne (in Euro)
■ Social contributions 60.50
■ Contributions towards student body 10.51
■ Semester ticket 147.30
■ Total amount 218.30

● Health insurance for students below 30 years old ranges between 30 and 80 Euro per month.

Example of average monthly expenditure for students in Germany:

Rent and utilities € 323
Food and drink € 168
Clothing € 42
Working/learning materials € 20
Travel costs (car and public transport) € 94
Health insurance, medical costs, medicine € 80
Phone, internet, TV € 31
Leisure, culture, sports € 61
Total € 819

Can I get a place to stay at a student dormitory?

As an international student coming to Germany, you have a number of options to find accommodation. You can either choose to live in a student dormitory (where the rent will be low because it is subsidized by the government) or you can try to find a place on the “free market” which tends to be more expensive.

Student dormitories are generally quite nice in Germany – very often you will have an apartment with your own kitchen and bathroom. Sometimes you will have to share kitchen and/or bathroom with fellow students living in the same building. It is probably a good piece of advice to live in a dormitory for the first one or two semesters.

Later on, with the safety of having a place to live, you can start looking for a different place on the “free market”.

Further information can be found here.

For Muslims, what is life in Germany like?

The first topic in this question that we will focus in is about safety. Germany ranks as one of the safest countries in the world, according to the Global Peace Index.

Even as a person wearing traditional Muslim headgear (eg. the hijab or a kopiah), it is still considered safe and the is no compulsion to remove such garments.

Halal food and mosques can also be found in almost every city and town.

Where do I find information about the city in which I’d like study?

For information about German university towns, please visit this site about German cities.

Can you work part time in Germany while studying?

International students are allowed to work 120 full days (8 hours per day) or 240 half days (4 hours per day) in a year.

Can I apply for a student visa at DAAD Malaysia?

Unfortunately not. For visa related matters, please contact German Embassy Kuala Lumpur.



Are there scholarship opportunities?

The German institutions of higher education rarely award scholarships, as they charge no or only very moderate tuition fees. There are, however several institutions that award scholarships. The most extensive scholarships programme is that of the DAAD. However only advanced students, such as graduates and PhD candidates) may apply.

Please check with the staff at the DAAD Malaysia for further details. You also might want to check out the scholarships information on our homepage or visit

Where can I find more information on studying in Germany?

We highly recommend visiting our sister page for further information.